Friday, September 17, 2021

It's been a while....

It's been over nine years since my last post on this blog.  Now that I am blogging again I thought I resurrect this long, lost blog.

The world of miniatures for gaming has changed has changed immensely.  Now that 3d printers have become affordable for many people; it opens many opportunities.  Designing and printing  your own miniatures and terrain is possible.  If you can't design your own, then there are companies that sell STL files of miniatures and terrain.  There are also companies that "print on demand" if you send them the STL files.  A popular one is Shapeways. They have over 90 different materials that can be used for printing.

I found a Swedish company, 2nd Dynasty that sells STL files of Traveller ships in 28mm scale.!  The first one is a Scout ship and it looks amazing.  They also have other ships available.  I used to love playing Traveller and it was the second RPG I ever bought.  In fact I had to mail order the boxed set because there was no world wide web, and not many games stores.

I plan on giving the old school method of sculpting a gaming miniature a try and making a mold to reproduce it.. I plan on starting with something fairly simple like a stone elemental.  I have to pose it in a way that is easy to make a mold for.

Anyway I will close for now.  Keep those dice rolling, and stay healthy.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment